Help decoding Running H/F variables with attibutes

Daniel Emory danemory7224 at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 26 10:57:58 PDT 2007

> At 10:28 -0400 24/5/07, Rick Quatro wrote:
> >I am trying to figure out how attribute-based
> Running H/F variables work. Here is are examples of
> a couple in a document I have:
> >
> ><$attribute[Booktitle:book]>
> ><$attribute[Revision:book]>
=================================
I may be missing something here, but if the "book"
element only appears in a book file, and the same
attribute is not repeated in the top-most element of
the individual book components (e.g., chapters), I
don't see how it is possible for FrameMaker to
properly produce a running header-footer (in the book
file's individual structured component files) which
reflects the value of an attribute which exists only
in the separate book file. And, under no cicumstnaces
could that book file attribute be used to produce a
running header-footer in unstructured front and back
matter (e.g., tables of contents, indexes, etc.)
included as components of the book file.

The same compopnent file could, for instance, be
included in several different book files. How, then
could that chapter file when it is opened separately,
know which book file it should use to produce the
correct attribute value to select for producing the
running header/footer containing the correct book
title? Even if the chapter file appears in only one
book file, how, if you separately open an individual
chapter file (without opening it from within the book
file) could that chapter file obtain the applicable
attribute value from the unopened book file?

And, if the book file contains unstructured front and
back matter, certainly those unstructured files cannot
produce a running header/footer derived from an
attribute in the book file.

These realities lead me to conclude that individual
component files within a book file cnnnot inherit
attribute values which exist only within a book file.
That is, book components (such as structured chapters)
can only produce attribute-derived running
hader/footers from attributes of elements which exist
within the component file, not from attributes which
exist onely within a book file.

It seems to me therefore, that the solution is one of
the following:

1. Repeat the book-title attribute in the top-most
element of each structured component file within the
book file, and, if such a component file appears in
more than one book file, change the attribute value in
each component file each time the book title changes.

OR

2. Simply create an ordinary running header/footer in
each book file component which specifies the current
title of the book being generated. That solution will
work for both structured and unstructured components
within a book file.