Process for Creating a Structured Frame Application

ActionA at aol.com ActionA at aol.com
Wed May 30 12:38:51 PDT 2007

Hi all,

I work for a company with documents in Frame and documents in a  home-grown
XML publishing system. We now want to share some of our Frame  documents
between both systems. I have been assigned the task of figuring out  how that would
work. After printing out the 600+ manaual entitled Structured  Application
Develper's Guide, I believe I have the general gist of what needs to  be done.
Since it appears that some of you on this list have a great deal of  experience
with Structured Frame, I thought I'd run this by you before I submit  my
findings to my supervisor:

1. Convert the unstructured Frame documents by:
a. Creating a conversion table
b. Once I apply the  conversion table to the unstructured files, I need to
manually tweak the  document to finish any left over problems.

2. Create an EDD from the existing schema from our XML publishing  system.

If I have this right, the schema will provide the EDD with the  structure for
the documents, but then I have to add the formatting portion to  the EDD as
well as read/write rules for importing/exporting.

So, am I on the right track? Am I missing anything?

There is one more thing I'm not sure of: Do I need a DTD as well? If  so,
what is that used for?

In case this is important,  in our XML publishing system, we have  a schema,
an XSLT file that sets up the conversion of the XML docs to HTML, and  a
cascading style sheet.

Thanks,
Nancy Adams