Formatting XML and other computer code

Inbar, Paul paul.inbar at intel.com
Wed Nov 14 23:23:32 PST 2007

Hi Carol,

Here is what I do, although I don't claim it is the best.

- I have defined a paragraph style that is single spaced and which uses a mono-space font. It has NO tab stops.

- When I have a code sample, I first paste it into a text editor called UltraEdit-32, change all the tabs to spaces (UltraEdit has a command for doing all at once. You can set how many spaces each tab should become). I do this because when I convert to HTML, I find that tabs are problematic, and that I don't have control over the length of the tab settings in someone's browser. As a result, if my code sample has tabs, it is possible that it will look like sh...well, hell in a browser.

- While in UltraEdit, I also search for "smart" items such as smart quotes that might have crept in. This might happen, say, when a developer copies and pastes some code into a Word document, which you then get as the source material. It is important to get the "smart" stuff out if it isn't meant to be there, because you have to allow for the possibility that a user of your document might want to cut and paste your example into a program and run it.

- After this, I paste sample into Frame and apply the paragraph format.

Sounds a bit complicated but goes pretty fast once you get used to it.

I too am interested to hear what others do.

Paul