Maximum number of pdf pages in FM query?

Fred Ridder docudoc at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 21 10:57:40 PST 2007

Rob Shell asked: > I am still using FM 8.2 on an XP platform with 4 gigs of ram. My pdf project > is at 5,677 pages; heavily indexed and illustrated. I am having problems > generating a pdf in the "save as" method. Crashes with no clues except the > arcane (to me) generated error file. Have I arrived at the outer reaches? > Shorter files (1,000 pp) generate as smoothly as silk. Must I move to > structured format? No, most likely you simply have something on one particular page thatone or both of the tools doesn't like.  Have you tried printing the document to PostScript and then distilling the PostScript explicitly? That way you can see whether the glitch is in the way FrameMaker and the printer driver produce the PostScript or in the way Distiller processes the PostScript to PDF (both of which happen "under the hood" in the Save As PDF" method).

And whatever error message(s) you get should identify the page on
which the tool choked, so you can zero in on the problem area that
way. (Note that Acrobat will often report that it was printing a page
that is one or two pages in front of where the actual problem is located,
because there are usually a couple of pages in the pipeline at any
given moment.) Once you have an approximate page number for the
failure, you can verify that you can successfully print all pages up
to the problem area, and whether attempting to print a page range
starting at the problem area still produces a fault. Then it's usually
a matter of examining the pages in the problem area and figuring out
what the tool is choking on. I recently had a case where one particular
figure would *always* crash Distiller if it was inserted as PDF (even
after replacing the figure with a new PDF image freshly generated from
the Visio source) but worked fine if inserted as EPS. Also, what printer driver are you using? Unless it's the "Adobe PDF"driver, you could be running up against some peculiarity in a driverthat is designed for a physical output device rather than PDF creation. -Fred Ridder