Why am I losing page and column breaks?

Thu Oct 4 08:05:37 PDT 2007

Natalie Bircher wrote:

> Does anyone know why I would lose page and column breaks?

Kinda depends on how they were created (it never hurts to describe the
situation in a bit more detail, including software version, etc.).

IIRC, there's a Page Break menu item (I don't have it because I've
disabled all ad hoc formatting controls) that creates breaks by applying
overrides to pgf formats. If you subsequently import formats to the
document (from another doc or itself), you can optionally (and perhaps
unintentionally) remove those overrides.

Or, if the breaks came from pgf format definitions (Start or Keep With
settings, etc.), maybe importing formats or making changes in Paragraph
Designer and choosing Update All removed the relevant settings.

In my template, the pgf definitions (Start, Keep With, and Widow/Orphan
settings) take care of 98% of page breaks without any manual
intervention. For the occasional awkward exception, I use a small
PageBreak pgf set to 600 pt. Space Below. I find that easier to manage,
search for, etc., than pgf overrides. And it suits my compulsive need to
avoid overrides. :-)

HTH!
Richard

------