Why am I losing page and column breaks?

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Oct 4 09:12:31 PDT 2007

Natalie Bircher wrote:
> Stuart!!
> Where do you get off busting my chops?
>
> You apparently need more help than the others that have answered my question
> with the information I gave. I didn't need to give them my OS or FM version
> to answer this question.
>
> Your tone is arrogant and self-serving.
>
> You would do better to keep to yourself.
>
> Natalie

My apologies, Natalie; I did not mean to offend.  Obviously I should
have sprinkled the posting liberally with winking emoticons, as the
intended friendly jibe apparently didn't make it through cyberspace.

I admit it is a pet peeve of mine that so often people who are
supposedly "professional communicators" post (on this and other lists)
questions that border on the insulting, they are so haphazardly and
carelessly formed.  Surely our peers deserve a little more effort on the
part of the questioners, out of simple respect (and self-respect).

If you didn't know what was causing your problem, how did you know that
no-one would need your OS and version information to solve it?  Have you
never encountered version- or platform-specific bugs?  It is
long-established netiquette to include such basic information as a
matter of course, though you are not by any means alone in omitting it.

I am happy that the psychics on this list were able to identify the
cause of your problem so quickly.  Please do share the solution.  I
promise to keep to myself in regard to any future postings from you.

(And thank you, Peter, Rick, Kelly, Richard, and Art, for your
supportive remarks.)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"On the contrary."
-- Henrik Ibsen (last words, after a nurse said he "seemed a little
better.")