ANN: HTML to FrameMaker Case Study

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Fri Oct 5 11:46:08 PDT 2007

Hello Framers,

I have long used FrameScript and MSXML to import XML into unstructured
FrameMaker files. MSXML is great because it uses standard XML technologies
such as XPath and XSLT to access and manipulate XML files. FrameScript can
"drive" MSXML using its EActiveXObject object.

There have been several instances where I wanted to import HTML files into
FrameMaker, but it wasn't possible with MSXML because it requires
well-formed XML. In some cases, it wasn't feasible or practical to convert
the HTML to well-formed XML. During a recent project, I discovered a simple
workaround to the HTML problem. I used regular expressions to extract the
necessary section from the HTML document and convert it to a well-formed XML
document. Then I used my usual MSXML process to import the data into
FrameMaker.

I have outlined the process in a small case study. You can see the PDF here

http://www.frameexpert.com/demos/htmltoframe.pdf

If you have any need for HTML to FrameMaker conversions, please let me know.
We can explore if it is feasible using FrameScript and MSXML. If your data
is non-proprietary and you would like to participate in a more detailed case
study, please let me know. Thanks.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing
585-659-8267