Missing some bookmarks in PDF

Lin Surasky Lin.Surasky at retalix.com
Fri Oct 5 11:58:11 PDT 2007

Hi all-

We're using FM 7.2p158 unstructured, on Windows XP Pro 2002 SP-2.

One of my colleagues is producing several books for an upcoming release.
Last week, he came to me for help with one of them -- seems that not all
the bookmarks generated properly. The books (and therefore the
bookmarks) are very simple -- cover page, generated TOC, up to a dozen
or so chapters and maybe an Appendix or two. The bookmarks are supposed
to include the TOC and the Chapter Titles (with Chapter Numbers).

What he was supposed to see in the bookmarks panel in his PDF:
Table of Contents
Chapter 1 Introduction
Chapter 2 Before you Begin
Chapter 3 Whatever the Title is for Chapter 3
Chapter 4 ...

What he got:
Table of Contents
Chapter 3 Whatever the Title is for Chapter 3
Chapter 4 ...

I think we've seen this before, but I can't remember what the cause was,
or even if we found one. I fiddled around with the source files to make
sure he hadn't used any paragraph format overrides that would exclude
the first two chapters from the book, and they were clean. I generated
the PS file from my machine, using my Distiller settings (we don't
necessarily use the same drivers/settings) and got the same results. So
I poked around some more, didn't see anything out of place, and
regenerated everything again. All is well. I sent him the source files,
he regenerated the PDF on his machine and all is hunky-dory.

We shrugged it off, thinking it was an anomaly, but just now he got
similar results with a different book he's producing (except this time,
Chapters 1-4 are missing, instead of only 1 and 2).

Has anyone else seen this, or have any ideas as to why this would be
happening?

Lin