partial page graphic lines won't print - RESEND

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Mon Oct 8 09:41:53 PDT 2007

Hi, Jeffrey:

On 10/8/07, Casher, Jeffrey <Jeffrey.Casher at goodrich.com> wrote:
> Peter,
>
> You may or may not have received the email I sent to John Hogan in
> response to his suggestion to fix the "optcgm.prf" file. In that email I
> expressed my feeling that this problem is not with the cgm that I'm
> trying to print, because I can place the cgm elsewhere in the file, and
> the lines in the graphic will print just fine when I print a hardcopy on
> my HP LaserJet 4050 printer, or if I create a pdf of the page using our
> PDF995 distiller(?)(pdf maker); the lines in the graphic are visible on
> my flat screen monitor all the time. However, if I put the graphic
> (which "prints" elsewhere in the document) in a partial-page anchored
> frame, the lines in the graphic do not print (are not visible) on a
> hardcopy printed page or on the pdf of the page. IF I CHANGE THE FRAME
> SIZE TO FULL-PAGE, the lines in the graphic do print (are visible) on a
> hardcopy printed page and on the pdf of the page.

[snip]

It's not clear to me what "partial-page anchored frame" means. It
could mean "a page-anchored frame - a graphic frame, made with the
Frame tool from the Graphics toolbox, that's pasted to the page, but
not anchored within text - that takes up part of the page." Or, it
could mean "a frame anchored within text, that takes up part of the
page."

If the problem only occurs in a page-anchored graphics frame, you may
have discovered a bug. If you can verify it is a bug, please file a
bug report with Adobe at
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

It's also not clear to me when you say "IF I CHANGE THE FRAME SIZE TO
FULL-PAGE, the lines in the graphic do print (are visible) on a
hardcopy printed page and on the pdf of the page in Acrobat," if the
graphic is enlarged when you enlarge the frame, or if you only enlarge
the frame, but leave the graphic magnification unchanged. Enlarging
the graphic enlarges the line widths, which could account for the
successful printing.

When you substitute another cgm graphic that behaves correctly, this
seems to indicate that the problem is in the particular graphic, not
the cgm file format. Have you compared the line widths in the good and
problem graphics?

Have you tried the "MIF wash" technique to remove any possible file
corruption - saving a backup copy of the file, then saving the file as
MIF, opening the MIF and saving as a .fm file replacing the original
file, then trying the print operations? If this succeeds, great. If
not, it again indicates a problem in the graphic, probably the line
width. Please read the topic in Acrobat Help that I suggested, if you
haven't, to understand the line-width issue - CAD programs can create
lines thinner than some applications or procedures can reproduce
reliably.

Another approach to removing corruption is to create a new FM file
from the same template, then copy from the start of the file to a
point just before the problem page, paste into the new document; then
copy from a point after the problem page, and paste into the new
document. Then create new content for the omitted problem area in the
new document in the correct location.

TIP: You can save time by printing only the suspect page.

This exhausts my knowledge.

HTH

Regards,

Peter