Italics dropping out of TOC

rebecca officer rebecca.officer at alliedtelesis.co.nz
Mon Oct 15 14:50:55 PDT 2007

I did something similar to this a while ago. I wanted to fool framemaker
into thinking a font family CourierItalic existed, so that it would
preserve the italics in cross-references. To do that I added the
following line to the [WindowsToFrameFontAliases] section of maker.ini

Courier, Italic, *=CourierItalic, Oblique, *, Regular

If you do this, be aware that it removes the italics option from your
chosen font - in your case, any time you wanted italics Verdana, you
would have to use the "new" font. And every writer in your group has to
use the same change or you get font errors when you open each other's
files. And it's likely to confuse anyone who replaces you.

A Framescript might be a better option.

Cheers, Rebecca

>>> "Jeremy H. Griffith" <jeremy at omsys.com> 11/10/07 10:43 >>>
On Wed, 10 Oct 2007 08:43:42 -0700, William Abernathy
<william at inch.com> wrote:

>Is this such a well-known FrameMaker bug
>that it merits no response?

That's probably the consensus.  But, IIRC, there *is* a
workaround for your specific case.  You can't use a char
format (for the reasons everyone has mentioned), and any
char formatting overrides are not preserved in the TOC.
But *font* changes are.  So if you specify an Italic font
as an override in your title, like VerdanaItalic, rather
than setting the format to italic, you may get what you want.

You may also need to add a setting in maker.ini for [Fonts]
and/or [WindowsToFrameFontAliases], which may be more trouble
than it's worth to you.  I don't recall just how that setting
needs to be, but maybe someone else here does.

I have *not* tested this...  ;-)

notify Allied Telesis Labs Ltd immediately.
be the views of Allied Telesis Labs.