footnote problem

Graeme R Forbes Graeme.Forbes at Colorado.EDU
Thu Oct 18 00:16:03 PDT 2007

Tina wrote:

"If I take out
the now disappeared long footnote (by deleting the footnote reference in the
text), all the other footnotes go back where they belong"

Are you sure about this? If there are lots of long notes in the doc
it's very likely that FM has pushed some of them in their entirety
onto the following page. FrameMaker can't split long notes across
pages correctly. Useless behavior which, as Rick said, has been with
us since FM 4 (FM 3 in my experience, and no doubt since FM 1 -- the
footnote facility was programmed to do exactly what it does, by
people who didn't understand how footnotes are supposed to behave).
So you have to break them manually, using text boxes inside anchored
frames for the part of the note that won't fit on the page with the
reference number in the main text. Or else make them all endnotes by
the ugly method described in the user manual, which I once automated
in Applescript. But endnotes are so reader-hostile that it's worth
slogging thro' the manual process.

Graeme Forbes