footnote problem

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Oct 18 07:54:15 PDT 2007

Bodvar Bjorgvinsson wrote:
> My walnut is telling me that a footnote is a footnote and things that
> do not fit within the majority of a page as allowed in FrameMaker must
> be something else, like an end note or just as an "insert" (not in the
> FM way) that is just shown indented and/or in smaller type in direct
> continuation of the subject section/part/paragraph.

...and if you checked it, you'd find the Chicago Manual of Style telling
you pretty much the same thing.

Tina, you might want to have a look through section 15 of CMOS,
especially "Extensive versus Excessive Documentation" beginning at 15.15
and Footnotes beginning at 15.41. (14th Edition; the 15th ed. on line
puts this info in section 16.)

These sections contain a good description of the problem your author is
creating, in terms of book layout and typesetting (i.e., not particular
to FM or any other software) and cogent arguments that you might deliver
to him suggesting a different approach.  There are also suggestions on
how to reduce the size of long footnotes if there is simply no way to
avoid them.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"On the contrary."
-- Henrik Ibsen (last words, after a nurse said he "seemed a little
better.")