radical revamping of techpubs

Chris Borokowski athloi at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 19 11:37:47 PDT 2007

Another way to say this might, the market is driven by perceived
quality of product as a product. Microsoft Windows is not as stable as
BSD, but it installs easily and lets the average user get up and
running quickly while maintaining high backward compatibility. Is that
higher quality, or lower quality? Not so clear. However, for the task
at hand, defined by the purchasing audience, it is a more apt fit.

I believe that the market is driven by image, including the marketing
you mention, but part of that is a perception of quality as defined by
the needs of the users.

I'm sure that did nothing to simplify this debate. Feel free to flame
me off-list for such blatant non-helpfulness.

--- John Hedtke <john at hedtke.com> wrote:

> You're making an assumption that the market is driven by quality.  It
> is not, though that's certainly a factor.  The market is driven even
> more by good marketing.

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development