radical revamping of techpubs

Ron Miller ronsmiller at comcast.net
Fri Oct 19 11:44:47 PDT 2007

In my view, the only reason Windows has dominated personal computing
is because Microsoft bullied hardware company into selling its
products. It told computer manufacturers throughout the 90s when it
built its domination to either use only Windows or to have to pay
more for each copy if they didn't. With small margins on PCs,
hardware companies were forced to comply until a lawsuit put a stop
to this practice.  By that time, however, Windows had built a huge
installed base, making it very difficult to move an entrenched player
(even when the player became entrenched through less than honest means).

Therefore Microsoft's dominance had little to do with having a better
image or even better marketing, it had to do with a business plan to
bully the market into buying its products. It worked, but Windows
dominance in the OS arena has little do with its quality and even
less to do with its ease of use.

Ron

Ron Miller
Freelance Technology Writing Since 1988
Contributing Editor, EContent Magazine

email: ronsmiller at ronsmiller.com
blog: http://byronmiller.typepad.com
web: http://www.ronsmiller.com

Winner of the 2006 and 2007 Apex Award for Publication Excellence/
Feature Writing