PDF contradiction?

Tue Oct 23 15:29:43 PDT 2007

Tammy Van Boening wrote:

> ... According to all the hulla-bulloo about this 8.0
> release, I can enable commenting rights in a PDF so that my
> Adobe Reader users can participate in shared reviews of the
> PDF. So, I followed the instructions to the "T" provided in
> the Adobe Acrobat Online Help and this is the problem:
>

> 1.)     Create the PDF.
>
> 2.)     In the open PDF, choose Comments > Enable For Commenting in
> Adobe Reader and save the PDF.
>
> 3.)     Start the wizard to initiate the shared review. Step 4 in this
> wizard is to select the PDF that is to be reviewed (natch!),
> so I select the PDF that I saved in Step 2, but here's the rub:

DISCLAIMER: I'm using Acro 7; undoubtedly, Adobe has made random changes
to what it calls things and the details of how they work.

That said, I think you're doing two things that are similar, but not the
same, and you should be doing one or the other, but not both. It's
understandable; the help explains them poorly (at least in 7).

If you're going to email the PDF to someone and want their comments
back, all you need to do is step 2 above. A Save As dialog prompts you
to save a copy of the PDF (you can overwrite the original if you
insist). Send that copy, which has the "special features" enabled to
allow commenting in Reader. *Don't do step 3 (the wizard). I've done
this many times, and never used the wizard.

You need one of the wizards (under Comments > Send for Review) _only_ if
you want to see multiple people's comments merged into one document. In
that case, *don't* select Comments > Enable For Commenting first; just
go straight to the wizard.

HTH!
Richard

------