radical revamping of techpubs

Chris Borokowski athloi at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 30 15:48:05 PDT 2007

A product can have good design, and good programming, and still be
inadequate for users.

How can that be, you ask?

Technically speaking, it may be doing what its creators think it
should, and it may be well-created. It may be disorganized, and it may
not address the user's needs, and that's where TWs come in.

We are the only group who sees the application, from start to finish,
from a user perspective. Therefore we are able to offer sanity checks:

- This interface doesn't make sense.
- Although the app is well-designed, in this context it becomes slow or
crashes, and in our view, users will come this way often.
- The task we're designing this for is too narrow/too broad.

--- Technical Writer <tekwrytr at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly. And that is in the province of the developer, the
> programmers, and the GUI designers. Using TW to cover up poor design
> and inadequate programming is not particularly useful for
> anyone.

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development