radical revamping of techpubs

Chris Borokowski athloi at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 31 09:15:13 PDT 2007

To me it seems obvious that getting TWs involved in the whole of the
process is a necessary step, as is (what someone else mentioned)
getting TWs to write less-wordy, more immediately-parseable
instructions.

If agile development allows that, it could be fun and interesting. I'm
leery of trends like agile or extreme programming because when you
analyze them, they are largely a formalization of an ad hoc practice,
and so don't apply anywhere. Too often I fear I'm buying into someone
else's marketing, when there's a simpler route to the truth.

--- Susan Modlin <smodlin at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I've been working in and with agile development groups as
> a writer or doc manager since late in the last century. When I first
> heard about agile, I thought it was the devil's spawn, but it hasn't
> turned out that way at all. In my experience, a writer in a well-run
> agile environment can be involved from day one of the first iteration
> all the way through to delivery of a final product -- and not just
> writing and rewriting the same stuff over and over again. In fact, I
> find that I don't spend as much time
> writing as I once did. However, as an integral part of the
> development
> organization, I have no shortage of interesting and impactful
> (terrible
> word) tasks on my plate.

http://technical-writing.dionysius.com/
technical writing | consulting | development