Numbering steams and flows: solved

Steve Rickaby srickaby at wordmongers.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 13 01:56:23 PDT 2007

At 13:13 +0100 12/9/07, Steve Rickaby wrote:

>As we know from previous discussions here, the column layout is a flow property rather than a page property, so I must use a B flow for the 2-c material.
>
>My question is, is there any way of preventing numbering streams from restarting when the flow changes within a document? I'm a bit surprised to see that FrameMaker views numbering streams as local to flows rather than global to a document, but this is the case: if numbering is set at book level to restart per-document, it also seems to restart for a new flow within that document.

My grateful thanks to Sarah O'Keefe, Peter 'KnowHowPro' and Richard Combs for help with this. As I now know, my assertion above that 'the column layout is a flow property rather than a page property' is incorrect, and therefore there is no need to use multiple flows, and the numbering problem goes away. For reference, the presence or absence of a side-head margin [although not, apparently, its dimensions] *is* a flow property, but the column layout is a frame property.

I plead ignorance because in my usual work the only time I go multi-column is for an entire document, such as an index, with no side heads. I am still, however, surprised that number streams reset at the start of a flow within the same document, although I suppose it makes some sort of sense.

--
Steve