Numbering steams and flows: solved

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Thu Sep 13 07:14:15 PDT 2007

Steve Rickaby wrote:

> I am still, however, surprised that number streams reset
> at the start of a flow within the same document, although I suppose
> it makes some sort of sense.

It makes a lot of sense if you suppose that the original purpose of
multiple flows in a document was to allow FM to emulate a page-layout
program in addition to its main use for book production.  Articles laid
out in newsletter or magazine style constitute multiple, unrelated
flows, and it would make perfect sense to have unrelated numbering
streams for them.  When we use multiple flows in a book situation, it's
more likely to be as a work-around for some unusual situation, and it's
not surprising that the numbering restart doesn't suit; it wasn't
designed for that use.

Don't let Frame's numbering get you "steamed"; remember, you could be
working in MS Word! <extended derisive laughter>  :-)

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com