RE. Don't install Frame 8 If You PDF Your Books

Valerie Lipow vallipow at gmail.com
Fri Sep 14 18:36:17 PDT 2007

Tony,

I recommend that you give feedback to Adobe about the knowledge level of
your Tech Support Representative. Like you, when I first ran up against this
Book>PDF glitch in FrameMaker 8, I submitted an online support request, and
the response I received from Adobe was boilerplate, and completely useless
and off-point.

I got this solution from someone on either the Framers or the
framemaker-dita listservs, and I applied it, to my great relief.

Then I contacted Adobe Tech Support by phone. I wanted to confirm that the
Tagged PDF strategy was not just a fluke that would work once. I was placed
on hold for nearly an hour, but I was working while waiting, so I waited.

During this time, I emailed RJ Jacquez, the Adobe Chief FrameMaker
"Evangelist" (Adobe-speak for lead FM marketing representative). Despite
such a ludicrously overstated job title (would any tech writer - er,
"information architect" - make up such a thing?), RJ responded very quickly
and professionally, and he told me he would take my concerns up the chain.
(Recently, I had the chance to complete an online "satisfaction" survey for
Adobe, and I told them again about my experience.)

Finally, the TSR picked up the phone, and he verified that the Tagged PDF
option was the only known workaround for this known FM 8.0 bug.

I am waiting eagerly for the patch.

Knowing that not all FrameMaker TSRs know about this problem and its
workaround, I feel very fortunate getting the TSR I spoke with.

RJ, I know you're out there, lurking. Please carry the message to someone
who has the power to change things that Adobe FrameMaker Tech Support is not
serving its customers well.

Val
Brendan Technologies, Inc.
Carlsbad, CA