RE. Don't install Frame 8 If You PDF Your Books

Tony Marek tony.marek at pdf.com
Fri Sep 14 15:47:41 PDT 2007

   Hi Valerie --
   You're right, I'm happy to say. Thanks very much for setting me on the
   right path.  I'm also happy to say that it wasn't me who was wrong but
   my Adobe Tech Support Technician. He specifically told me there is no
   fix for this and that I have no alternative but to go back to Frame
   7.1.
   But before I resorted to reinstalling 7.1 I got your post and went
   into the Print Book > PDF Setup dialog > Tags tab. I selected the
   Generate Tagged PDF option and set up the Include Paragraphs list to
   match my Bookmarks paragraph list. I don't actually know what this
   function is about, but it resulted in generating a postscript file for
   my book which Distiller could successfully distill. All cross-refs in
   the book's PDF file seem to work now.
   Previous to selecting "Generate Tagged PDF", all I got from my
   attempts to distill the PostScript from a full book was an error text
   message -- no PDF file. PDFing my individual chapter files was
   working. But with no way to PDF my full book, I was stuck.
   I have filed two Online Support requests with Adobe, and received no
   replies to date. One is a week old and the promised response time is
   24 hours. So, the moral of my story is: Frame 8 is damaged. Adobe Tech
   Support is broken.
   Tony

   Wrong! FrameMaker 8 DOES make PDFs with cross-references.
   What you need to do is to create the Acrobat settings to Generate
   Tagged PDF.
   Until Adobe creates a patch, to generate PDF in 8, you must check Yes
   in the Generate Acrobat Data > PDF Setup... > Links >Generate Tagged
   PDF section of the File > Print Book window.
   This a known bug.
   Val
   --
   Valerie Lipow