Long running headers

Lester C. Smalley lsmalley at infocon.com
Tue Apr 22 07:43:24 PDT 2008

I've used tables in the header as well, in particular for the vertical
alignment capability.

But there are a few cautions:

- the table row (cell) height automatically expanding may be an issue
  depending on the available space; you have to be sure your header
  content doesn't get cut if it grows (make sure the header frame is
  tall enough)

- a table has to have an anchor paragraph in the header text frame
  that also adds vertical space; this can be overcome by setting
  BOTH the space below the anchor paragraph and the height above
  the table to the negative line spacing of the anchoring paragraph.
  E.g., if the paragraph line space value is 2 points, set the space
  below the para and space above the table to -2 points.  OR you can
  play with the size and placement of the header frame to move it
  closer to the top paper edge.  Or both....

On Tuesday, April 22, 2008 02:43 AM, Yves Barbion wrote:

| Or you can use one header text frame and put a two-column table in it
| for more design flexibility:
|
|  - You can play with ruling and shading, for example to place your
|    headers/footers on a colored background.
|  - You can control the distance between both columns by playing
|    with the default cell margins.
|  - You can align your text vertically in the table cell.
|  - Your table cells will expand automatically as your header/footer
|    text becomes longer.
|
| Kind regards
|
| --
| Yves Barbion
| Documentation Architect
| Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor
| Scripto
| Belgium

- Lester
Lester C. Smalley              Email: lsmalley AT infocon DOT com
Information Consultants, Inc.  Phone: 302-239-2942 FAX: 302-239-1712
Yorklyn, DE  19736               Web: www.infocon.com