Fine tuning pagination

Jim Owens jowens at magma.ca
Tue Apr 22 08:23:21 PDT 2008

Linda G. Gallagher wrote:
> Steve,

>  <Micro-control of text, for example adding small amounts of negative
> tracking to pull a hyphenated word back from a page foot>
>
> Negative tracking?
>
> Thanks!

I can field this one, with some extra suggestions.

In the Paragraph and Character Designers, you can use Spread to alter
the spacing between letters, and Stretch to alter the width of the
characters. In the Paragraph Designer, you can alter the spacing between
words.

You can use these as overrides to nudge the way your text flows from
page to page. Start early in the flow and work forward.

If you want to take up more pages, look for a paragraph where the last
line is almost full, and then nudge the text in the paragraph until  it
goes to a new line. If you want fewer pages, look for a paragraph where
the text flows to a new line by one or two short words, and then nudge
the flow to take up one less line.  THe "knock-on" effect for subsequent
page breaks can be dramatic.

Are you using balanced columns with feathering? If so, you can also
adjust the interline and inter-paragraph padding. In this case, look for
orphans and widows, and use the padding limits to nudge them forward or
back.

Properly used, these controls can be subtle. Don't abuse them or your
page will start looking ugly.