OT: Monitor for color correction

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Wed Apr 30 18:39:05 PDT 2008

Mike:
> At one time, LCDs were not supposed to be good enough for this purpose, but
> that seems to have changed. Is anyone still selling CRTs for this purpose,
> or are LCDs by LaCie, Eizo, and others the only options now? I'm not against
> LCDs-- and would actually prefer one, if not outrageously expensive.

Earlier LCD monitors used a fluorescent backlight.  The LCD cells just
act as variable transmission filters to let more or less backlight
through the coloured filters.  The newer LCD monitors have coloured
individual backlights for each pixel, so that the light source is the
correct colour to begin with.  These have a wider gamut of colours,
better contrast, and better black.  You can probably set the colour
temperature to the recommended D65 (6500K) with these more easily.
Samsung had several quite cheap models here in Australia (prices won't
extrapolate easily to USA) and most manufacturers have good models
varying from cheap and adequate to expensive.

Regards,
Hedley

--

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>