OT: Monitor for color correction

Hedley Finger hfinger at handholding.com.au
Wed Apr 30 21:05:40 PDT 2008

Sorry everybody.  The point I was trying to make that LCD/LED monitors
have "individual LED backlights for each pixel".  Because the LED is
already a coloured primary light source of greater purity than a fluoro
backlight + colour filter can produce, you get a greater gamut.  And,
because the LED can be turned off altogether, you can get better blacks.

-- Hedley
> Mike:
>
>> At one time, LCDs were not supposed to be good enough for this purpose, but
>> that seems to have changed. Is anyone still selling CRTs for this purpose,
>> or are LCDs by LaCie, Eizo, and others the only options now? I'm not against
>> LCDs-- and would actually prefer one, if not outrageously expensive.
>>

> Earlier LCD monitors used a fluorescent backlight.  The LCD cells just
> act as variable transmission filters to let more or less backlight
> through the coloured filters.  The newer LCD monitors have coloured
> individual backlights for each pixel, so that the light source is the
> correct colour to begin with.  These have a wider gamut of colours,
> better contrast, and better black.  You can probably set the colour
> temperature to the recommended D65 (6500K) with these more easily.
> Samsung had several quite cheap models here in Australia (prices won't
> extrapolate easily to USA) and most manufacturers have good models
> varying from cheap and adequate to expensive.

Hedley Finger

28 Regent Street   Camberwell VIC 3124   Australia
Tel. +61 3 9809 1229   Fax. (call phone first)
Mob. (cell) +61 412 461 558
Email. "Hedley Finger" <hfinger at handholding.com.au>