Deeply weird font kerning issue

Daniel Frankham daniel.frankham at saabsystems.com.au
Wed Apr 30 19:37:52 PDT 2008

We've experienced something similar (using Structured FrameMaker 7.0p578
for Windows, and Acrobat 6) -- but only in text, not diagrams. We use
FrameMaker 7.2 and Acrobat 7 now, and we haven't experienced the problem
with those -- but then we haven't created any really large PDFs with it
yet.

The problem as we experienced it was like this: a PDF generated from a
large FrameMaker book would *sometimes* contain garbled text. Some
letters would be run together, so for example all the letters in a word
would be on top of each other; other text in the same line would be very
spread out. This effect would usually be seen in lines containing
in-line headings, punctuation marks (especially smart quotes), or
non-keyboard characters (the degree symbol and Greek letters were common
offendors). The affected PDFs would print exactly as they appeared on
screen. If you closed the PDF and re-opened it, it would look fine. But
if you left it open for a while, the garbling would often return sooner
or later. The effect would often appear in the most badly affected book
while the PDF was being printed, so checking the PDF before you started
printing wasn't enough to avoid junk printouts.

This affected all our large books to an extent (by large I mean between
600 and 2000 pages), but for some reason the 600 page book was the
worst. This book was originally created by another company, so we don't
know its full history. It was used as a template for our other books, so
it's possible they inherited their problems from it.

--
Daniel Frankham