why am I having missing fonts in FM8, and how to correct?

Dov Isaacs isaacs at adobe.com
Thu Aug 14 09:56:01 PDT 2008

Nancy,

I absolutely did NOT say than any fonts are being "translated" either in the
background or otherwise. FrameMaker uses Type 1 fonts (please stop using the
term "PostScript fonts" - it means nothing since by definition, TrueType fonts
are every bit as much "PostScript fonts" as are Type 1 fonts) directly mapping
the glyphs in such fonts to Unicode. The same type of mapping occurs with
TrueType fonts and OpenType fonts.

You continue to use FrameMaker with Type 1 fonts the same way you did in the past.

The only problem that I am aware of is where Type 1 fonts that had strange,
undocumented encodings are mapped into Unicode. This is also a problem with every
other Adobe application as well. (Example, mapping the Hebrew alphabet into the
Latin A through Z in a font for ease of keying. That is impossible for any Unicode-
based application to effectively deal with.)

        - Dov