why am I having missing fonts in FM8, and how to correct?

Peter Gold peter at knowhowpro.com
Mon Aug 18 13:33:40 PDT 2008

Hi, Charlie:

You may have noticed that FM has no Print Preview option. This is
because FM's on-screen view is (nearly) WYIWIG, and has been going
back many versions.

FM does this by looking at the font names listed in the
currently-selected printer's support file(s). You may have noticed
that FM displays a message - Document has changed. Font appearance may
be affected - when you change printers.

So, two simple causes of the missing font message are:

* Not having the fonts installed on the computer or on the hard drive
of the selected printer or in the printers permanent memory.

* Having the fonts in one of these places, but the currently-selected
printer doesn't recognize them.

One more-complex-but-simple cause is opening a file created on FM on a
Macintosh on a Windows computer. (Yes, there's a FM for Mac, but it's
version 7.0, and it only runs on Mac OS before OS X, or Mac's Classic
pre-OS X emulation.) There's nothing wrong with Mac FM files on a PC,
but there some apparently-identical font names differ in their
internal font names between platforms.

For details, look for Multiple_Platforms.pdf in the Documents
subdirectory of FM8's FrameMaker installation directory, or in the
OnlineManuals directory of pre-FM8 releases.

There's a free utility, SetPrint, that selects a specified printer as
the default printer when you launch FM, then restores the
previously-selected printer as default when you quit FM.
www.sundorne.com

HTH