why am I having missing fonts in FM8, and how to correct?

Tue Aug 19 07:49:46 PDT 2008

Charlie Kyle wrote

A couple weeks ago I
> opened some FM docs for updating and received the "Missing fonts"
> message. I looked in the online help and the FrameMaker 7 reference
from
> Scriptorium, but I couldn't find a quick way to determine the names of
> the missing fonts. When FM produces the "missing fonts" message, does
it
> know what fonts are missing or does it just know it can't find them?

The missing fonts are listed in the Console window, along with the font
that FM is substituting (either temporarily or permanently, depending on
your Remember Missing Font Names setting).

You can add or change font substitutions in the maker.ini file, but it
may take some experimenting (back up maker.ini first!) to get the font
names and syntax right.

Once you have appropriate substitutions in place, you can turn off
Remember Missing Font Names. From then on, when you open and then save a
file, FM will make the substitutions permanent.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.