Strangeness with Autonumbers

Rick Quatro frameexpert at truevine.net
Mon Aug 18 09:57:49 PDT 2008

Hi Robert,

There is an autonumbered paragraph between the two that is resetting one of
the numbers. The easiest way to try to fix this is to add a series label to
the H1, H2, and H3 autonumbers. A series label is a single letter followed
by a colon; for example,

   - H1 - H:<$chapnum>.<n+>
   - H2 - H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>
   - H3 - H:<$chapnum>.<n>.<n>.<n+>

All of the autonumbers in the same series "work together" and are not
affected by any other autonumber paragraphs. If this doesn't solve the
problem, send me a document offlist and I will tell you where the problem
is. Thanks.

Rick Quatro
Carmen Publishing Inc
585-659-8267
www.frameexpert.com

Hello Everyone,

I´m new to the list - but I am looking forward to helping and contributing.
I´ve only been using Frame for a couple of years now, but I am getting more
and more experienced every day . . .

But not experienced enough to the bottom of this *Strangeness with
Autonumbers*.

So I have four heading levels (Chapter.H1.H2.H3), and I need to have
numbered headings. I have the following autonumber formats.

   - H1 - <$chapnum>.<n+>
   - H2 - <$chapnum>.<n>.<n+>
   - H3 - <$chapnum>.<n>.<n>.<n+>

Everything should be fine, right? Well, it works in most of my chapters, but
in others it fails. The typical failure looks like:

   - 3.2
   - 3.2.1
   - 3.0.1 (where it should be 3.3.1)
   - Then I get 3.0.1 many times, suddenly a 3.2.1 and on and on, and it
   seems to be random.

I believe that my autonumbering format is correct, but that the numbering
must obviously be continued. A journey to *Format > Document > Numbering >
Paragraph > Continue Numbering* has been unsuccessful. The fundamental
numbering of the paragraphs is incorrect, but apart from the *Continue
Numbering* solution, I cannot think of anything.

When I created the document, I copied and pasted from previous headings, and
I can´t help but think that this is the source of my problems.

Any help you guys can provide would be much appreciated, and again, I am
really looking forward to contributing to this list.

Thanks,

Robert

--
Robert Rogge