section/no section number TOC

Tue Aug 19 11:03:31 PDT 2008

Mollye Barrett wrote:

> Richard,
> I wasn't clear enough in my situation explaination...
> Every book has multiple sections. The front matter and the TOC need to
> display without section numbers and all other chapters in the book to
> display with section numbers. The front matter needs to appear in the TOC
> without a section number. I don't want additional paragraph styles, just
> the ability to "hide" the section number.

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my response. You can *only* do what you want with additional pgf formats. At least, you can *only* do it *properly* that way.

Why don't you want to do that? How many formats could you be talking about if it's just for your frontmatter (I assume that's a preface/intro section preceding Ch. 1). How many heading levels should you really have in frontmatter? Not many, IMHO.

I, and I suspect many template designers, have specific pgf formats that are only used in frontmatter, not chapter files. This isn't unusual (or difficult).

I suggest you stop trying to fight the only approach that makes sense. If you had created the necessary 2 or 3 pgf formats, added them to the TOC, and modified the TOC spec accordingly, you'd be done by now. Mucking about with conditional text, which won't solve your problem, is just wasting time.

Richard

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.