PDF setup for LOF links

Rene Stephenson rinnie1 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 20 08:11:51 PDT 2008

Hi All,

I'm using FM 7.2 (unstructured) with Acrobat 7.0 on WinXP SP-2.

Our process is: FM generates the LOF from the Figure Title paragraph formats, and then we print the book to PS with Adobe PDF printer instance, which we double-click to distill to PDF.

In the resulting PDF, whenever you click a link in the LOF, the PDF page displays with the Figure Title at the top of the window. Great...except that our captions follow the figures...so the figure title shows, but the figure itself requires scrolling back up the page to see.  I had proposed the (potentially offensive to some tech writers) alternative of the caption leading the figure rather than following it, but that solution was refused by the client, for various reasons. (Bummer...that could have been a quick scripted fix...)

I don't think Acrobat can distinguish between paragraph formats, and I don't think it considers a graphic that has callouts as a single entity but rather as a composite of graphics and text—and this is as it should be for most and advanced applications, such as when we link between callouts and content relevant to the callout—so I can't think of a way to tell Acrobat to 'go to" the point preceding the paragraph of the link pointer. (Does that even make sense...?)

I tried fiddling with the anchored frame by placing it in the Figure Title, but I couldn't come up with a way to get it to insert in the paragraph and display above the insertion point.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Rene L. Stephenson