ANN: Job seeking

Jeremy H. Griffith jeremy at omsys.com
Tue Dec 2 13:35:00 PST 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 13:30:08 +0000, "Bodvar Bjorgvinsson"
<bodvar at gmail.com> wrote:

>As so many other people in Iceland, and around the world for that
>matter, my company is struggling and has made many layoffs recently.
>Friday last I was one of the unlucky (or maybe lucky?) to be laid off,
>but in my case, I have 6 months notice rights (which is good if the
>company survives that long, which is not all that certain). So I will
>be up for any odd jobs that can be worked on overseas. I have a couple
>of times done overseas jobs from home, so that should not be a
>problem.

Yes, the tech sector here has been hard hit too, with major layoffs
at Sun and at numerous other tech companies.  It doesn't look as bad
as the "dot-bomb" of 2000 yet, but we're nowhere near the bottom...

>I will, of course, be applying for a job locally, but there are almost
>no companies in Iceland that are using FrameMaker, so my FM knowledge
>might not be such an advance here.

OTOH, you have something to offer the poor folks who don't use Frame
that they don't even know they need.  ;-)  It's a chance to show them
The Way.  <bg>

We'd like to remind you, and anyone else here in a similar position,
that Mif2Go is free for life to unemployed tech writers and underemployed
consultants (you know who you are), as well as all academics (students,
faculty, and staff).  We've had this policy for many years, and a few
thousand people have taken us up on it.  We do not ask for any proof
of status; we trust our customers, whether free or paid.  Just send
an email to offer at omsys.com, with subject "Mif2Go" (no quotes), with
your name and email address, and we'll send you a password.  The only
email you'll ever get from us as a result is announcements of upgrades,
all of which are free to you.  And we'd like to thank our many paying
customers, both individual and corporate, for making this possible!

>I hope you will forgive me if you find me misusing the list, sending
>this message, but I think it is at least useful for us all to see how
>the job market is from time to time.

I think it's entirely appropriate, considering the current world
economic situation.

>(Please don't send any condolences -- this is not the end of the
>world -- yet!)

The end of one world may be the beginning of a better one.  The
caterpillar passes on, to become a butterfly.  We shall see...  ;-)