Making PDF of a FrameMaker document that contains PDF graphics

Fri Dec 5 09:09:09 PST 2008

Christopher Seal wrote:

> I have a FrameMaker document that incorporates PDF graphics within
anchored
> frames. When trying to make a PDF of this document the process stops
once
> the first PDF page is encountered.
>
> What do I need to do to create a PDF from a FrameMaker document that
> contains referenced PDF pages? The document displays OK and prints OK.

You shouldn't need to do anything special, it should just work. Many of
my FM books contain referenced PDFs -- sixty-odd flow diagrams from
Visio, in one case (PDF is the best way to get Visio output into FM,
IMHO). I've never had a problem.

What do you mean by "the process stops"? Is Distiller reporting an error
and aborting the job? What does the log say? Distiller error messages
are generally somewhat inscrutable to me, but there are people on this
list who can translate them into English for you. :-)

Are you using Save As PDF or Print to Adobe PDF? Try the other.

If you're always getting an error on the first page containing a PDF, it
might be just that specific PDF, or even something else on that page.
Try printing other pages containing PDFs, one at a time, to the Adobe
PDF printer.

HTH!
Richard

Richard G. Combs