asterisks and footnote numbers

Tina Ricks kristina.ricks at verizon.net
Fri Dec 5 14:18:09 PST 2008

Hello,

I'm doing editing and layout of a large set of academic papers that have
loads of footnotes. The organization I'm working for wants to use both
asterisks AND footnotes in the papers.

An asterisk is usually after the paper title, and has notes about where this
paper was previously published. Some papers have asterisks on the titles,
some do not.

The footnotes in the main body of the text are typical footnotes (source
citations, etc.) and are numbered 1, 2, 3, etc.

Frame doesn't handle this well. Footnote numbering (Format > Document >
Numbering > Footnote) either has numeric or custom (symbols) but not both
mixed in the same footnote series.

I tried setting up a custom numbering format (*1234 etc.) but Frame's
numbering feature gives error messages when one chapter is different from
the rest in the book, and changes it back to the way the rest of the book
is.

Has anyone dealt with this? Word actually allows symbols and numbers in the
same series, but Frame doesn't.

Tina Ricks, Editor
tina at trialguides.com
Trial Guides