Broken xrefs -- how to avoid

Emmy A. maisieari at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 11:34:11 PST 2008

Frame 7.2 on WinXP

We are doing some work where I am getting book files from the writers and converting them from one template to another. Book files consist of chapters, text inset files, and graphic files that are referenced. The conversion itself is a piece of cake. However, there is a problem with the xrefs becoming broken because the directory structure on the originating writer's machine is different from mine. However, both the writer and I maintain the same relative paths between the book file, text insets, and graphics. But when the writer copies the converted files back to his machine, the xrefs are broken.

I know that there is some way to avoid having the broken xrefs, but I cannot recall how to do it. Does it rely on having the relative paths having the same name? Please advise.

Emmy Aricioglu
emmy_aricioglu at hp.com