Cross references without active hyperlinks in PDF files

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Thu Dec 11 22:40:00 PST 2008

Doug,

You wrote:

>Is there a way to define a cross-reference format such that this cross
>reference does not generate an active hyperlink in a PDF file?

Only option within FrameMaker is to take advantage of the limitation/bug
whereby cross-references in text insets are not converted to active links.
As mentioned by Lin and Richard, it is possible to store multiple insets
in a single FM file by having multiple text frames with separate flows.

With my FrameMaker-to-Acrobat TimeSavers add-on, it is possible
to turn on a function that "disables" external cross-references pointing
to a specific file/path (link is removed but text/formatting remains
intact) --
see http://www.microtype.com/TimeSavers.html (Links/General screen;
"Suppress x-refs when path or file name includes: .....").

Nothing has to be changed in the FM files or book; only a string
included in the path or file name has to be specified in the settings.

For example, the source FM file to which your cross-references
point can have a "_NoLink" suffix, or you may store the FM file in
a folder that has "_NoLink" in its name.

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers

"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" live web-based training sessions