TOC in FM8 - different levels ; and a few other questions

Adriana Harper adriana.harper at solium.com
Thu Dec 11 14:05:28 PST 2008

Hello,

A big thank you to everyone who responded with good ideas on how to
search the Archives. They work nicely and I am moving forward!

I have a few questions that I hope this great resource can help me with:

1.	I am working with Structured FM since I will be doing both print
and web based help (using RoboHelp).  I made an EDD from scratch using
formatting, etc. and it seems to work very well with formatting my
ensuing structured FM files. Is this the only "file" that I need to
create?  Or do I need a CSS, DTD, etc?
2.	I made a few documents to put into a structured book.  I added
those files into my book. The structure view showed a NO NAME component
(at the top, which I understand is correct) but dashed red lines to all
the files, which I understand means there is problem with the document
structure.  How do I fix this? I imported the EDD from my files into my
book- is this my problem?  Do I need to make a separate EDD for a book
structure, and then import that?  If so, is there a template I can work
off of?
3.	I added a TOC to the book.  My files all have Document (as the
highest level element), with Title, Section and Head elements.  The TOC
does not show sub-chapters... i.e. I can make the TOC with all the
titles, all the heads, all the sections, etc. showing up as individual
parts of the TOC, but not one that shows the Title as the head chapter,
and then a head as a sub-chapter.  Help!
4.	Does anyone have any familiarity with importing into Robohelp
and creating a webhelp file based on FM?  If so, question: when I import
my FM document into Robo Help the TOC is still wrong (similar to the
issues in question #3 - no sub-levels, etc).  Any assistance would be
greatly appreciated.
5.	I tried to make a custom master page (with a footer and a logo
in the top-right hand corner), and I saved it, and then mapped it to
apply it to all my files in my book.  When I went to apply it, it would
not.  Any suggestions? I don't want to make a master page for each FM
doc in my book (for consistency's sake).

Finally, I am brand new to FrameMaker.  I have read the Adobe online PDF
user manual for FM, the developer reference PDF, signed up and gone
through Adobe online training, and have ordered the "Adobe FM7 Classroom
in a book" book.  Any other suggestions on how to best learn how to use
this tool to its full extent?

Thanks to all,
Adriana Harper

ADRIANA HARPER