TOC in FM8 - different levels ; and a few other questions

Yves Barbion yves.barbion at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 07:40:36 PST 2008

Hi Adriana

If you are "brand new to FrameMaker, and if you want to work with Structured
FM files for print and web-based output, you may want to take a look at
DITA-FMx:

http://leximation.com/dita-fmx/

It will give you all the benefits of using an open, international OASIS
standard for structured content and it will prevent you from reinventing the
wheel:

   - No need to create an EDD from scratch, all EDDs and templates are
   included, and you can easily modify the templates to your corporate identity
   standards
   - No need for RoboHelp: you can use FrameMaker to publish your DITA
   content as high-quality PDFs and you can use the free DITA Open Toolkit to
   publish to a variety of output targets, inluding XHTML, HTMLHelp,
   EclipseHelp and JavaHelp
   - All elements and attributes you need have been defined in the DITA
   DTDs, and if you need more or others, you can create specializations.

If you wish to see DITA-FMx at work, feel free to contact me off-list. I can
give you a free web-based demo.

Cheers
 --
Yves Barbion • Managing Director • Adobe-Certified FrameMaker Instructor
www.scripto.nu  • skype: yves.barbion