Template organization

Diane Gaskill dgcaller at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 13 13:08:15 PST 2008

Allison,

You CAN use the same tag for all chapters.  But you have to use a system
variable as well.  BTW, we use the system variables for most things in the
footers.  Here's how to set it up.

As you know, page numbers that include the current chapter number and
current page number look like this:
Chapter Number-Current Page #  (<$chapnum>-<$curpagenum>)

If you want the title of the chapter (such as TOC, Glossary, or Index) to be
substituted for the chapter number, substitute one of the Running H/F
variables for the variable Chapter Number.  You can use the same variable in
all the chapters where you want the chapter title to appear instead of a
chapter number.

1. In the variables dialog box, select one of the Running H/F variables.
Example: Running H/F 2
2. Edit the definition.
3. Change whatever the definition is to <$paratext[paratag]> (you select
this from the list of definitions).
4. Now edit [paratag] and change it to the name of the tag you use for the
chapter title.
   Example <$paratext[ctnChapterTitleNoNum]> (gets the text of the paragraph
tagged with ctnChapterTitleNoNum)
5. Save and exit the dialog box.
6. On the Left and Right master pages of the chapter you are in, change the
variables in the page number from
      Chapter Number-Current Page #
      Running H/F 2-Current Page #.

Now FM will display the contents of Running H/F 2 instead of the chapter
number.  And the contents of Running H/F 2 are defined by the text that you
have tagged with ctnChapterTitleNoNum.

Result: In the Glossary, where the title Glossary is tagged with
ctnChapterTitleNoNum, the page numbers in that chapter will be Glossary-1.
In the TOC, the page number will be Contents-1, and in the Index, Index-1.

HTH
Diane Gaskill
Hitachi Data Systems