Accessibility tagging FrameMaker to PDF

quills at airmail.net quills at airmail.net
Mon Dec 15 07:27:33 PST 2008

I am beset with a particularly clueless implementation of
Accessibility requirements. The company I work for is required to
support Section 508, yet the instructions they have produced are
basically waving their hands over the subject without concrete
guidelines. So I'm having to define these as I go.

My question is: When tagging the paragraph tags for Accessibility,
what kind of hierarchy detail is necessary?

For instance, do I set a descending hierarchy from the heading tags
down to the body text, and lump all of the body text, tables, bullets
etc. under the same tag level? Or do I follow the structure of the
document strictly, separating the body text from levels of bullets,
steps, tables, etc?

Is there a difference in how the document behaves if I have a large
set of granularity, or if it flattens after I tag the headings?

Scott