Pulling a "custom" page number into a TOC or Index

Shlomo Perets shlomo2 at microtype.com
Sun Dec 21 23:13:56 PST 2008

Brian,

You wrote:

>... I would like the first page of the Glossary to be numbered
>"Glossary-1". I can make this appear on the page by editing the footer
>on the Master Pages. However, when I run the TOC update, it only pulls
>the "1". It leaves the "Glossary-" off.
>
>I have been reading through the User Guide that comes with FM 8 and I
>am not seeing any instructions for doing this.
>
>Any suggestions?

In your footer, in front of the page number variable: insert a Chapter
Number variable (Special > Variable, Chapter Number).

In your book, right click the Glossary and select Numbering. Click the
Chapter tab, and change Format to "Text". Type "Glossary-" in the box to
the right of "Chapter #:".

Shlomo Perets

MicroType * http://www.microtype.com
FrameMaker training & consulting * FM-to-Acrobat TimeSavers

"Improve Your FrameMaker Skills" live web-based training sessions