variables in book files

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 13:26:22 PST 2008

A variable that is tied to a specific tag in File A can't be seen by
File B because the source tag doesn't exist in B -- a variable of the
type that you're using is limited to the file in which it exists.

A couple of better ways of achieving what you want would be to:
* Use a cross-reference in the footer that points to the SectionTitle tag.
* In the Book file, select the files in the section, right-click, and
use Numbering to set the <$volnum> variable to whatever text string
you need for a set of component files. Then invoke the <$volnum>
building block in your footers instead of <$paratext>.
* Create a variable of your own (SectionTltleContent) that you then
use instead of typing text into the SectionTitle tag in A. This type
of user variable can be rippled throughout all component books because
it's free-standing. Once it's set in A, use File > Import > Formats
and specify Variables in B and the other component files to import it.
You can change the contents whenever the Section changes.

Art

Art Campbell
                          art.campbell at gmail.com
                                                      No disclaimers apply.