macros and keyboard shortcuts

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Dec 31 07:29:00 PST 2008

Avraham Makeler wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I remember that years ago, FrameMaker - Windows (when I last used it for a
> while) did not provide macros and neither did it allow you to assign
> keyboard shortcuts to styles.

Keyboard shortcuts for styles (tags) are built in.  Press F8 (for char)
or F9 (for pgf) followed by the first letter(s) of the tag name, which
appears in the status bar.  Press Enter when the correct tag name is
shown.  If you name your tags systematically, this method is very quick.
  (E.g., h1_heading1, h2_heading2, em_Emphasis... type F9 h1, F9 h2, F8
em...)

Or you can press the function key and type the same letter repeatedly:
F9 hhhhhh will cycle through the pgf tags beginning with h.

To repeat the most recent tagging, type Esc cc (for char) or Esc jj (for
pgf).

> Has there been any improvement in this? v7 ? v8?
>
> (Then, I used QuickMacros, an excellent Windows macro programming utility -
> which worked rather well with FrameMaker (v6, I believe).

I'm on 7.0, and there's no macros; haven't heard mention of them in 8.x
either.

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

"A man's screech should exceed his rasp, or what's a violin for?"

--another Rogers Original