Working with Images

Charles Beck Charles.Beck at infor.com
Sun Feb 3 16:20:29 PST 2008

Hi Pete,

I would strongly concur and reiterate what others have said about NOT
using JPG for screen captures. It is considered a "lossy" format and
introduces all kinds of artifacts into the image.

GIF is a good choice if you have a limited color palette, that is, fewer
than 256 colors. It produces the smallest file size, so if that is
really an issue, this might be your best bet.

PNG is my favorite format, though. It uses a color palette and produces
a file size similar to JPGs (that is, reasonably small), but is not
lossy like JPG. PNGs tend to be very clean and efficient files.

BMPs are pigs, producing quite large files, though they handle color
well and produce very clean images. But, as someone else has pointed
out, they are also Windows proprietary (if that is an issue).

Others have dealt well with the resolution issue, so I'll not add any
noise there.

My vote would be with the PNG format.

HTH,
Chuck Beck

Sr. Technical Writer | Infor | Office: 614.523.7302 |
Charles.Beck at infor.com