OT: Resources for Alert Standards

Art Campbell art.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 09:57:34 PST 2008

ANSI 2007 says:

****

 DANGER:  Indicates a hazardous situation which, if not avoided, will
result in death or serious injury. This signal word is to be limited
to the most extreme situations.

 WARNING: Indicates a hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could
result in death or serious injury.

 CAUTION: Indicates a hazardous situation which, if not avoided, could
result in minor or moderate injury. It may also be used without the
safety alert symbol as an alternative to "Notice".

 NOTICE: "NOTICE" is the preferred signal word to address practices
not related to personal injury. The safety alert symbol shall not be
used with this signal word. As an alternative to "NOTICE" the word
"CAUTION" without the safety alert symbol may be used to indicate a
message not related to personal injury.

****

On Feb 5, 2008 12:43 PM, Jerilynne Knight <jerilynne.knight at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I'm looking for standards on the proper use of terms like "Notes",
> "Cautions", "Warnings", "Tips", etc. in software documentation. When I
> search, I'm finding ANSI and IEEE standards that are available for purchase.
> At this point, I don't really want to purchase the entire standard. I simply
> want to know the proper convention for using these terms. I *know* I had
> this information at one time and can't seem to find it in my files!
>
> Anyone have any documentation or recommendations?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Sincerely
>
> Jerilynne
> Simpy Written, Inc.