Duplicating a two-page section

Stuart Rogers srogers at phoenix-geophysics.com
Wed Feb 6 10:52:25 PST 2008

Brewster, Christopher C wrote:
> I'm learning FM as I go, out of necessity. I need to make an alternative
> version of a procedure, so I need a copy of the original appearing just
> after it, which I'll modify.

Should be dead easy.

The procedure contains a linked graphic.

Makes no difference.

> Simply copying a page didn't work because its contents were inserted
> into another page.

No clue what you mean here.

So I used Special > Add Disconnected Pages. It's OK
> to be disconnected because each procedure starts at the top of a page.

No, I don't think this is what you want.  Disconnected pages will run
you into maintenance headaches later on.  You want to keep all your
pages in a single connected flow, I'm sure.

> The text copied in fine, but the linked graphic needs to appear at the
> top, above the heading. FM won't let me put it there.

Yes it will.  You need to find out what the properties are of the
anchored frame containing the graphic.  If the anchor is in a text
paragraph, set the frame's position to Top of Column.  (My preferred way
to anchor frames is to put them in their own dedicated and otherwise
empty pgf, which can then have its own position and spacing properties.)

> Any solution to the above appreciated, or just an easier way to copy two
> pages and insert the copy after the original.

Select the material you want to copy and press Ctrl-C; position the
insertion point where you want the duplicate to appear and press Ctrl-V.
  Use the Paragraph Designer to set the pagination properties of your
procedures' first paragraph to Start At Top of Page.

(If you still run into problems, send me your file off list and I'll
sort it out for you.)

HTH,

--
Stuart Rogers
Technical Communicator

srogers phoenix-geophysics com

If it makes things work more easily, why isn't it called lubrican?