"unavailable fonts" problem: URGENT (Bill Swallow)

Frank Stearns franks at fsatools.com
Thu Feb 7 11:29:24 PST 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Bill Swallow wrote:

> Hey, how'd I get in the subject line??? ;-)
>
> I agree that blowing out the text in MIF is drastic, though it'll
> definitely solve the problem. Editing the MIF to replace the offending
> font name with another one is a better route. Still, the 'remember
> missing font names' quick fix will work to produce a PDF in a pinch.
>
> On Feb 7, 2008 10:24 AM, Combs, Richard <richard.combs at polycom.com> wrote:
>> Miriam Boral wrote:
>>
>>> Save the offending file as .mif and then open the .mif file with a
>>> text editor to view the underlying code. Search for the missing font
>>> and delete the text that uses it. Save the file and then
>>> resave as .fm.
>>>
>>> This is the only foolproof solution I've found!

We've found over the years that sometimes the internal mazes of the
object lists that make up an FM doc can leave you with no way back.

As an example, it's possible to get "stale" font information lodged
inside a table with NO WAY via the user interface to get to it. At
that point, a MIF edit is the only way to get to that stale font.

Doesn't happen very often, but it can be frustrating when it does.

Frank Stearns Associates | makers of IXgen(tm) for FrameMaker(r)
franks at fsatools.com <mailto:franks at fsatools.com>
TOLL FREE Voice (USA and Canada):  800-567-6421
USA Voice: 360-892-3970  USA FAX: 360-253-1498
http://www.fsatools.com