maker.ini OpenDirOnStart: How can I prevent it from being updated?

Berman, Marta marta.berman at hp.com
Wed Feb 13 23:54:19 PST 2008

Hello

I would like to set a default directory from which files should always be accessed (File-->Open), regardless of the last directory from which the files were opened.

I know about the OpenDirOnStart setting in the personalized version of maker.ini (not the one in the main installation directory).

But every time I exit FrameMaker, FrameMaker automates the OpenDirOnStart setting with the name of the last directory used for opening files, as is described in the description of OpenDirOnStart:

"OpenDirOnStart specifies which folder should initially appear in the Open dialog box. Every time you exit, this setting is updated to the folder from which you last opened a document."

Is there any way to turn off this automatic update when exiting FrameMaker, so that I can set a default directory? Or is there another way to accomplish what I want from within FrameMaker?

I can think of two workarounds:

* Create a batch file that overrides the personalized maker.ini file with a saved copy of the default one and then opens FrameMaker. Use this batch file to start FrameMaker.

* Make the personalized maker.ini file "read only." Then it cannot be updated when exiting FrameMaker.

In both of these workarounds, other settings such as RecentFiles, spell check options, and zoom settings also cannot be updated.

Much obliged,
Marta