cross reference vs variables

Syed.Hosain at aeris.net Syed.Hosain at aeris.net
Wed Feb 20 13:23:23 PST 2008

I agree entirely with your observations, Fred! They are different and needed for different purposes.

I use cross-references for paragraph and other document information that I want to reference elsewhere in the document or book. Like table titles for example.

I use variables to hold commonly used text that I can insert in the document to ensure consistent usage. If the text changes, all the variable uses are automatically changed.